Saturday, February 19, 2011

When My Cats Are Eating The Grass



        Most of the people assume that cats eat grass to prevent the injury which will make themselves sick. Moreover, people thought cats may have eaten food that is off. Furthermore, it could be that the cats has swallowed too much hair while grooming themselves and needs to cough up a hairball. While the second theory says that cats eat grass to obtain Folic Acid which cannot be obtained from meat. Third theory points out that grass is rich in chlorophyll which has similar properties to antibiotics and can be a cure to some health problems they faced.The fourth theory states that cats just simply love the taste and enjoy munching the grass.




            All the four reasons are logical and true. I am totally agree with the reasons. In my points of view, seeing cats munch grass quite confusing. They are said not eating this type of food, which disagrees with them. I myself have two cats and they behave the same. When I set foot in the garden, both of them have nibbled on bits of grass. I worry too much and will not let them to eat grass. They will cough after that but still munching the grass. I get mad to see it as I thought they torture themselves. I thought they will get sick and promptly get them away from the grass. After that, I kept an eye on them.  But when they are munching the grass, I have noticed some conditions of why they eat the grass.




            First, I think they are too hungry and ended up eating grass. Being a busy host always make me forget to feed them. As I am always learning to be responsible towards my pets, I will feed them eventually. When I search for them, they are munching grasses with enjoyment and sheer excitement at the lawn. I feel guilty towards them and disgusted at the same time. As it is not their common behaviour like before, I get worried and get them away from the grass. Cats do not have the enzyme needed to digest grass although the amounts they eat are so small. In addition, I am afraid they will get poison from invisible pesticides which may present there. I always get worried too if they keep munching the grass when I am not around or caught something when playing outside. After that, I never forget to feed them and request my family to replace me when I am not around.

            Cats are known as playful pets and always risk themselves. Then I thought they are just being playful as they are created to be. My cats are always busy chasing things, they are rarely catching things. This has been a comfort to me because I do not want them eating anything which will make them sick. But, unfortunately, they are not only eating grass, but will munch any disgusting things like thread, hairs and others. As they will munch almost everything, I persuade myself to not worry when they are munching grass. But still, I will prevent them from munching other things instead of their own food which will agree with them the most for their own safety and health.




            Lastly, from reading, I have discovered that eating the grass helps them to vomit. It is almost the same as the first theory, and I myself have encountered it. When my cats eat the grass, they will cough up and give out the grass again. They are not eating the grass fully, more to munching. Maybe they have eaten things that disagree with them and by eating the grass, it makes them vomit. Perhaps the taste is not that delicious which make them vomit. Cats are said discovered that is too late for them when they have eaten something that disagrees with them. Under these conditions, cats eat grass in order to make them vomit.




            Apart from eating the grass, they look fine. They are cheerful and still full of energy. I will make sure that both of them are totally fine from their weird habits. What is important now is that both of the cats are now perfectly okay. Next time, when I see them munching the grass, simply I have to ignore them. As I have learned that grass is the catalyst to help them, I am totally relieved now when I encounter them munching the grass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment